Sunday, September 29, 2013

Significant Event Essay



I have experienced a lot of personal growth in myself in the last two years. It all started the winter of 2012 when myself, and a few friends began discussing a road trip. After rambling off several local and out of state destinations we started to think outside the box. My friend Bryan mentioned Canada and it was silent for a few seconds almost as if he had read our minds. We knew it would cost much more than our original ideas but we knew that’s where we wanted to go. Persuading my mom into letting her 19-year-old son drive to another country was challenging but I managed to convince her. Before we knew it the day had come and we were on the road.

After several dozen cups of coffee and eyes so blood shot it hurt to blink, we were there! No words can really describe how beautiful the lakes high up in the mountains are, and the valleys and canyons. It is something you need to see for yourself. We spent the majority of our trip at Banff National Park, which is where most of the main tourist attractions are. While in Canada I learned how to ski at Sunshine Village, which was something I never thought I could do. Also, I went snowshoeing and snowboarding at Lake Louise where I saw some incredible Ice sculptures. If we could have stayed longer we would’ve but after two weeks we headed home.

This was one of the most significant moments in my life because it was a series of “firsts” for me. Before any of this happened I was very shy and had a low self esteem. I was never open to trying new things and leaving my comfort zone. This trip really opened my eyes and even changed my perspective on life. As of now, I am a lot more confident about whom I am. When opportunities and experiences present themselves I try to take advantage of them. The good times and the not so good times my friends and I shared on this journey are something I will never forget. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is stepping out of your comfort zone! That's so awesome you did all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...Canada seems like a great trip to take. It's good to have a mother who would agree to let her son go on a trip to Canada with friends. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very lucky to have the opportunity to experience something like this. It's good that it awakened a change in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to have been able to go to Canada ! It's great that you got out of your comfort zone and that you are more confident now. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete