I know the tradition and the
meaning of marriage is very important to many Americans. However, the percentage
of people getting married today does not suggest that. According to a recent
study nearly 40 percent of people believe marriage is becoming obsolete. I
believe many people, myself included, are a bit intimidated to get married
because the divorce rate is equal to the success rate. With that being said, I
unfortunately do not believe marriage is alive and strong in our present day.
But I do think marriage is still part of the social fabric. The only way I see
that changing is if America becomes more like the countries in northern Europe
where marriage rates are extremely low. Our social fabric would be much
stronger today if our economy and culture was how it was in the mid 20th
century. In the past, many couples would often stay together even if the were
not always happy. Divorce rates are much higher today because people are more
interested in their personal fulfillment rather than working on a marriage.
Rivera’s essay on “temporary
marriages” was a bit bizarre in my opinion. Mexico City lawmakers proposed a
bill that allows couples to apply for a temporary marriage license. The minimum
being a 2 year contract and after 2 years they can decide weather or not to
renew it. Many people were against this idea saying things like “It is like
doubting the marriage before it even starts”. Leonoal Luna, who co-authored the
bill backed up her argument by showing a statistics report. In the U.S. there
were 3.4 divorces per 1,000 people. In Mexico, the divorce rate was 0.33 per
1,000 people. She believes the short- term contract will “slow divorce rates
and free couples from the hassle of divorce”. I personally would not consider
this. If I ever get married one day, I would want to be fully committed to that
person and prove life long marriages can still be successful.
I also thought that temporary marriages were weird, they really don't make sense. I agree with you too that marriages can be successful if they came through with it. Hope you have a good marriage !
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. Getting married is intimidating because of how high the divorce rates are. Marriage isn't how it used to be.
ReplyDelete