Friday, October 4, 2013

Food!


Thinking back to my childhood years Fast Food was definitely a part of my adolescence. It was so difficult not to eat it is a kid because it tasted amazing, it was only a few dollars and Taco Bell, McDonald’s, and Kentucky Fried Chicken were walking distance from middle school and my house. It was not a very regular part of my family’s life. My mother was more health conscious and cooked most of the meals at home. However when I wasn’t at home I would eat a lot of fast food. As a kid, I wouldn’t even say it was a treat. It was very routine. After school my friends and I would meet at Jack In The Box or Taco Bell probably 3 or four times a week. I would order all types of things Big Macs, Chalupas, Famous Bowls, Whoppers and usually all of these were accompanied with large sodas. There probably was a time my parents told me how bad it was for me. But I didn’t think about stuff like that. I was just a kid! Everyone I knew seemed to eat and enjoy fast food.

My eating habits have changed significantly since I graduated High School in 2010. During my first college semester at Ventura College I took a health class that completely changed my perspective on what I eat. I’ve always been pretty athletic and when I found out that what I am putting in my body affected how I perform was enough for me to change my diet. Not to mention all of the other health concerns fast food can cause such as high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity and many more. Some fast food restaurants have attempted to put more healthy items on their menus. Hopefully this can continue and more places will follow and begin to alternate their food options. As of now, I rarely ever eat fast food or drink soda. The times I do eat fast food I try to order something on the healthier side like a salad or sandwich instead of a burger and fries. I feel a lot better physically and I have much more energy than I used to. Many of my friends eat much better now and we can we talk about different health foods and get tips from each other. It is not always easy and convenient to eat healthy but if you make it a part of your lifestyle it’s not very hard. 

7 comments:

  1. When were kids we do not worry about the whole cholesterol and unhealthy side of foods. Its good how you saw the better side of it and how you eat salads instead of the whole fatty hamburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, kids don't worry about the technical things. They just worry about how good it is. I am glad that you realized how bad fast food is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kids never think of what they eat and drink cause they are kids. its when they are adults that they think i shouldnt have ate this or that too much. glad you now know what fast food is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As kids, we all want those Happy Meals. Your blog entry was real cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on the same page as you. I started seeing how my diet truly effected while playing sports in high school. I notice the healthier I ate, the better my performance on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a major difference in the way kids want to eat versus adults, I think it's awesome that you feel better with the way that you eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As many of us all know, when we are kids, we never pay attention to what we eat. We tend to burn it off those calories and all by running around and being active. Now that being adults, it changes. Glad to know your eating habits changed, going for a healthy lifestyle rather than depend on fast food so much.

    ReplyDelete